Sharklab-Malta members regularly take part in water-based research through snorkeling or diving. Snorkeling research is open to anyone who is confident in water, and can swim. It is supervised by experienced snorkelers. Dive research can only be carried out by certified scuba divers. Fortunately for Sharklab-Malta, we have many very experienced and highly certified divers who are members. Sharklab-Malta owns a number of sets of snorkeling gear and wetsuits and has access, through its increasing network of supporters, to any other equipment required for this research. This allows members who do not own their own equipment to take part in these activities.
- Identifying and collecting data on elasmobranch living in Maltese waters.
- Learning about the marine habitats around the Islands.
- Taking pictures as a record of elasmobranch and the other marine life around the Islands to accurately log sightings.
- To have fun exploring new areas of water and often un-dived locations.
- To have a greater appreciation of our marine environment.
- Water-based research allows members to learn all about what goes on under the surface of the waters around the Maltese Islands.